Friday, May 8, 2015

Home

So five months ago almost I started this blog and after my first few posts I took off for one of the greatest adventures of my life: study abroad. While I was away I considered continuing with my posts, but honestly I just got busy, and when I wasn't busy Netflix sounded like a much better idea. But I'm back now, and as promised by just about everyone I know who's studied in another country, I've changed and I've come to a few realizations:

1. I belong in California....or at least somewhere sunny. 


Pale skin and pea coats just don't do it for me. I also could never live in a world without authentic Mexican food and refrigerated eggs (don't ask).


2. America sucks at a lot of things, but so does everywhere else. 


We may not have universal healthcare or funding for the arts, but we do have democracy and refrigerated eggs (seriously, it's weird). Our currency is awesome, and so are our prices. And we may have to pay student loans until we die, but at least our cable television is entertaining and there's no class system.

3. Boys suck just as much in Europe as they do in America


...although they're more inclined to ask you on a date (results may vary).

4. Finally, going abroad is not an easy way out of dealing with your problems at home. 


It can just as easily burn bridges as it can build them. It's true that the people who matter stay in touch and the ones who made empty promises get weeded out. The thing about going abroad though is that eventually you come back, and at least in my experience, things seem to pick up right where they left off.

In the end, I got the chance to see the world beyond my backyard and for that I am forever grateful. From Paris, Rome, Florence, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, and England I have gained so much respect and admiration for other cultures and I hope one day I am fortunate enough to return.

Lesson here: Study abroad if you get the chance. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment