Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Can we just slow things down?

22. How on earth did I become 22 years old? Seriously, it's completely beyond me. I've been thinking a lot about age lately. Maybe it's nostalgia or some fear of change or some strange almost quarter life crisis, but a lot of things have been happening in my life lately and they can only be a byproduct of getting older. Here are a few observations from the past few months:

1. Babies


Love must be in the air because wow, a lot of people are having babies. Even weirder is that all of these people are having babies ON PURPOSE. Like deliberately...or if not deliberately at least no one seems to be particularly mortified of the idea of being a mother or father the way I probably would be if I found myself with child at the age of 22. No judgement. Just certainly not the path I would choose for myself. Then again, I'm still living on microwave taquitos and bagel bites, I don't pay my own rent, and I can't even remember the last time I did laundry. A week ago? Who knows? So to my friends and acquaintances who have chosen the road to parenthood more power to you. I imagine one day I'll have my shit together too.

2. Stress


Did you know that a human being can think about like 300 things at once? That's not a real statistic but I'm pretty sure I'm capable of it.  Especially right before bed. When I have a lot to do the next morning. Also, I have this amazing talent to stress out about literally anything...homework, work, my internship, the LA drought, world hunger, you name it. And then of course boys. It's a hard life being 22 years old, ridiculously privileged and single. Poor me.


3. Confidence?


Woah. There's something I wasn't expecting. But yeah, I'm actually becoming more confident in myself as I grow up. I quit a job because I decided it was not challenging enough, I ended a relationship because I wasn't being treated well enough, and I started going to the gym *GASP* because I decided I wanted to feel healthier. And it's AMAZING what happens when you take charge of your own life. People respect you more. They just do, and it's crazy when you're happy with yourself instead of trying to be validated through others.

4. More stress


I mean...yeah...someone hire me? Please?


Happy Tuesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment