Wednesday, November 25, 2015

What Adele Taught Me this Week

If you live anywhere that isn't under a rock, then you've probably heard that Adele's new album, 25, is out, and you guys...It. Is. Beautiful. It speaks to my soul (or you know...that hollow space where my soul should be). Anyway, this woman has some brilliant messages and what seems like a lifetime of heartbreak and insight and personally, I felt like I couldn't possibly be the only person to have learned a few things so I decided to write about them.

1. Twenty-Somethings know something about Heartbreak


You may have been told that you have the rest of your life to find someone or that you're too young to know what love is...I certainly have. But just like the Internet, you can't believe everything adults tell you. Seriously, just because you're in your twenties doesn't mean you don't have feelings. And if biology is any indicator of emotional maturity, then the younger you are the more intensely you probably feel things. Remember puberty? Yeah, me neither. Moral of the story, if you've ever loved and lost it actually does suck. A lot. Adele understands.

2. It's ok to be Hung-up on Someone


If you've ever liked someone enough to be hung-up on them when they aren't interested in you or don't know how to be with you anymore, then let me extend a formal invitation to you to join the freaking club. We have wine. Lots of it.

3. It's also ok to let go of said Someone


Adele can probably explain this one a little better than I can. Actually...I'm still stuck in the above phase so please refer to songs, "I Miss You", and "Million Years Ago" for a better understanding of how to move on. If I figure it out for myself any time soon I'll let you all know.

4. Growing Up is HARD


I know for a fact I've already bitched about this one before but I must say, it is nice to feel validated on this. It seems to be a theme in this album too, which is fitting considering that Adele is part of the Twenty-Something club and she's figuring out just like the rest of us that things were pretty great when we were younger. We agree, Adele. We understand.

5. You're going to get hurt. Just own it.


This was probably the hardest lesson to swallow, if I'm being honest here, but just because sometimes love is going to suck doesn't mean that it has to ruin us. I mean look at what Adele did with it. She likely turned it into a few Grammy's and made several million dollars off of it. Now I'm not saying that all of us should just go out and start singing songs about our personal struggles, but I think the point is sometimes you just kind of need to let it out. If you let it out, then you don't have to dwell on it, and if you're not dwelling on it then you can get over it. Hypothetically.

Thanks Adele!

No comments:

Post a Comment